Checked Out

Ciao all,

Do you ever just those days weeks where you feel like you need a mental vacation? I definitely do. Sometimes, no matter how hard you try, things just don't go right. Sometimes, it's not even a few big things that don't go right... it's just a looooot of little things (like rude sales associates!), and those little things add up.


I woke up this morning completely ready to start my day, and for some reason things were not going well. I was getting really frustrated and tried to take a step back to calm down a few times but that wasn't effective. Going shopping for a hairdryer was the last straw; I went to purchase a hairdryer that an Italian sales associate recommended to me, and when I got home it turned out to be a German hairdryer that didn't fit any of the outlets in the house. Yeah, just when I thought that was bad...

I tried to use my straightener and it blew three fuses in my brand new adapter. I think at that point, I just started to think "alright, what next? Lets go."

When I sat down to think about it right after that scenario took place, I came to this conclusion: 
"This is clearly a sign that I should not be productive today. I give up, I just need to relax." I just completely stopped caring that things weren't going my way and I decided to go do something fun that I would enjoy doing instead.

I think when we have bad days, we keep trying to stay positive and complete the rests of the tasks we have on our "to-do" lists. Even if we stay positive, we don't give ourselves time to get over feelings of frustration from earlier events because we're so rushed in attempting to not waste time and 'focus on the bright side'. 

Focusing on the bright side doesn't always mean to ignore the bad situations and attempt to continue on like normal. Sometimes being positive means realizing that if the boat can't steer against the current, maybe it's better to just forget the destination, drop an anchor, and sunbathe on the deck. Sometimes, it really is better just to give up on the day (give up on your set agenda) and enjoy the day instead.



So to the people in the phone store who are absolutely ridiculous, and to the weather for being completely opposite of the forecast, and to the sales associate who sold me a German hairdryer, and to whomever did the electrical wiring on the house, and to the buses that didn't run on schedule (reason number five on likes/dislikes about Italy) and allowed me to get a reaaaally good workout in.... I give up. Clearly I was meant to do nothing today, so i'm going to go outside and play futball with the children I watch instead.

Remember: Don't try to sail against the current. Just drop an anchor, and sunbathe on the deck.


A presto,
Morgan

PS: I'm in the mountains for the weekend. What better excuse to do nothing but relax?

0 comments :

 

Get In Touch

Drop a line! Feel free to send any inquiries, advice questions, or feedback to the following email address. I'll respond within 48 hours, I promise.
BetweenTheIvyLines@outlook.com

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

A Letter of Thanks

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog! Please direct all feedback, both positive and negative, directly to the email listed under my contact information.

Meet The Author

Morgan is a Political Science and Russian Studies double major hoping one day to pursue her love of international policy and political relations. Until then, she is happily jetsetting all over the world and spends her time trying to make others days brighter through words of encouragement and advice. Lover of the cold, constantly dreaming of DC, and an avid book fanatic.